Friday, June 27, 2008

Finally Done!






Ok so I decided to wing it and try some color. I came up with Green and Yellow. I was thinking of more electric green but this was all the hardware store had :( I think it came out ok all in all.
I pulled out my old airbrush and had some fun. After I finished blending the yellow and green, I thought it needed something more so I outlined the whole thing with a little black. The shine here is only temporary. I was just finishing the gloss coat of epoxy. It looks so good when it is wet. After it dries it looks a little dull. I read about guys that spend tons of time trying to get that shine, but then just cover it with wax anyway. That can't be me I don't have enough patience.

So all done. "Board Number One" wow it was both harder and not as hard as I expected. I was surprised by the way some things went. I expected shaping to be harder than it was. The rails came out rougher than I expected. I cant tell if thats because the shaping wasnt right or the glassing. The next time I shape a board I will definitely try some different things. I would spend more time with a block and sandpaper rather than power tools.

Its funny six months ago if I saw this board I would be like wow thats great I want to make one just like it. Now that its done I wish I had done this better or that better. I really have to get over it and just enjoy the time I had building it. I really did enjoy it!

I do have to say wow a surfboard all in all done for under $150! I can't wait to get this stick out and see if I can catch a wave with it. So here it is all leashed up, waxed up and waiting for the first ride.

2 comments:

Pop's said...

Turned out really nice! Glad to have shared in this process!

Can't wait to see if it works :)

CKF said...

wahoo! That is so cool you made your own surfboard....I didn't know you surfed! Maybe someday I will try that (the surfing not the building lol!)

Very cool you are blogging it too. And of course how cool would it be if you blogged about the other stuff you do in your life ;)

Have a great weekend!!!
Colleen